Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Memory is a fickle siren's song I didn't understand.


And so it goes, as they would say..I'm going back in time. A time where two young fellows named Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel wrote music and lyrics that compelled the heart. Hey,even warmed the soul. But what brings me the most joy on this journey, as I listen to Simon & Garfunkel, is the beautiful harmony as the voices blend together and create dancing melodies.I'm going back in time... and I may never come back.

"My mind's distracted and diffused. My thoughts are many miles away. They lie with you when you're asleep and kiss you when you start your day."

Kathy's Song - Simon & Garfunkel

As I walk along the cobblestone path to the MET in the drizzling rain, the lovely Fleet Foxes keep me company. I often forget that I'm listening to a contemporary band, rather I think of no time really. Timeless. "Timeless" is the key word that ties Simon & Garfunkel and Fleet Foxes in a tight objective knot. As Sub Pop's Aja Pecknold recalls, "Fleet Foxes’ sound is in constant motion—an ever-evolving, growing and changing, living thing, climbing higher and higher to reach an illusory pinnacle in the clouds that grows more elusive with each inch of elevation gained."




R.D

No comments:

Post a Comment